Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I don't want to be Supermom

I have a slight addiction. I'll admit it.  I am addicted to Facebook.  I love to keep up with what my friends are doing, watch their kids grow, to gain access to lives that i could never have a part of because of distance or otherwise. 
Today my status update could have read something like this:
"Whew!  taught home school, did laundry, swimming lessons, taught piano lessons, made supper, took kids to AWANA club, hosted cell group, pick up kids, more laundry, .... DONE."
pretty impressive, hey? :)
I see a lot of great things happening on Facebook.  I also notice some not-so-healthy things.  In the lives of my friends, and in my own life.  I love to hear people say that they don't know how i do it!  How could one POSSIBLY lead my life and still be sane?  OR, ANY of our lives for that matter?  Mine is really no different from the next.  I am a mom who loves my kids and does my best for them.
Is this world a race?  Is it a contest?  What will the winner get, i wonder?  What must we do to WIN? 
Is there a prize for who puts their kids in the most activities?  Is there a special trophy for the mom who got the most done in the shortest amount of time? (I just might win that one! lol)
Life with 4 kids is busy. Goodness, life with ANY amount of kids is busy! It is not busy because of things that randomly fell into my lap, however.  I have the power to control what we do, how much we do, when we do it.  Activities, school, birthday parties, coffee dates, play dates, work, play- we choose how to divide our time. 
We know our limits- or do we?
  Why do we put so much pressure on ourselves to DO?
Lord, I don't want to be Supermom.  I don't want to finish each day exhausted because i failed at finishing in my own strength.  I don't want to be worked to the bone, worn out, tired, spent. 
My desire is for You Lord, for the things that You would have me do. You say that your yolk is easy and your burden is light!  I cannot do this on my own.  I cannot do even one single day on my own.  Because as i attempt to, i fall into the race.  I give in to the competition.  I strive to win at something that is unattainable. 
There will never be enough of me to go around.  There will never be enough hours in the day to get it all done. There will never be a prize at the end because i got everything checked off of my list. 
In the end, there will be You.  My Lord and King, standing before me, and I will hear one of two phrases.  It will not be, "wow, Darcie, you are AMAZING! here is your crown because you exhausted yourself in your life!"  It will not be, "come in and sit down.  Supermom needs a break!" (well, at least that won't be the FIRST thing He says! hahaha!!)When it all comes down, we will hear either, "Well done, my good and faithful servant", or "Depart from me, I never knew you!"
Who are we serving today?

But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit upon his glorious throne.  All the nations will be gathered in his presence, and he will separate the people as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.  He will place the sheep at his right hand and the goats at his left.  Then the King will say to those on his right, "Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world.  For i was hungry, and you fed me.  I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink.  I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing.  I was sick, and you cared for me.  I was in prison, and you visited me." 
Matthew 25:31-36 (emphasis mine)

In His strength, for His cause,
One day at a time,
Darcie.

No comments:

Post a Comment