Sunday, April 15, 2012

MEXICO

I have recently returned from a trip to Mexico.  I didn't go on a cruise ship.  I didn't stay at a resort. I didn't have anyone bring me lovely drinks with a little umbrella in them. (we did get ice cream treats every day!)  The weather wasn't hot, although we did get a lot of sun! It was not your typical spring break vacation.  And let me say, there is nothing wrong with a relaxing, sunny vacation!  But not this time.
I went for these people:

I went so that they could avoid living in something like this:

I went with a team that wanted to give them this:

We worked hard for 4 days, hammering nails, measuring (twice!), cutting, painting.  25 people from our church just wanted to help where we saw a need.  And we did!  Two amazing families now have homes. They have some supplies, groceries, beds.  They have a leg up that may otherwise never have come.  
But I think that we received so much more than we gave.  We were honored by their strength, their resolve to work hard.  We witnessed family relationships that many here in Canada would envy.  We also witnessed a generosity like none other. The family we built for spent likely a week's wages to make a meal for our team to thank us.  So humbling.
The Bible tells us in so many different passages to feed the hungry, clothe those who need them, give shelter to the homeless.  So we took a step.

I remember when I was pregnant with my first baby.  I was sick, tired, swollen,saw my figure disappear, not knowing yet if it was worth all the effort of carrying this baby.  And then after going overdue, being induced, going through the pains of labor and delivery, I met my son.  
And let me tell you, it was WORTH IT.  Worth the pain, the effort, the work, the sickness, the swollen ankles, the weight gain, the stretch marks.  To see that little face, that part of US...it was a moment of wonder and amazement I will never forget.
My experience in Mexico was the same in this aspect.
It is worth every penny spent, every hour worked.  It was worth leaving my kids behind for 10 days even though I missed them like crazy!  It was worth my husband taking time off work.  
 It is worth it to see the smiles on the girls' faces when their beds were brought into the house.  They have never had beds before!  It was worth it, knowing that 2 families now have proper shelter and will sleep warmly!  It was worth it to see the pride in the face of the men as they opened their new homes and invited their families inside. It is worth it, knowing that this will make a difference in their lives forever.  And once you see that change, you see the impact, there is no turning back. 
 We are beyond the time of knowing and doing nothing about it. This is our responsibility, our right, our great honor.
Still processing,
one day at a time,
Darcie.


No comments:

Post a Comment