Sunday, February 19, 2012

Well Done!!

"The master was full of praise. 'Well done, my good and faithful servant.  You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities.  Let's celebrate together!' "
Matthew 25:21

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS REQUIRED. (Luke 12:48)

 I have been processing these verses since returning from India. The stark contrast between our countries is not easily ignored!  I see so much great wealth around us, so many fantastic blessings! India, as a nation, has very little in terms of wealth.  They do their best with what they have.  In North America we are overflowing in finance, posessions- we have the ability to create wealth! We are truly blessed beyond measure. I have read these verses many times, and I used to think they related only to finance, that those financially blessed have great responsibility.  This is certainly true!  But I believe it goes beyond finance. 

I look at my surroundings and see a nice house with things that I love, cherish and find comfort in.  I see my family, my four beautiful, healthy children, my handsome husband who works hard to provide for us.  In the driveway are our two vehicles, our lawn tractor is in the shed, the skidoo sits awaiting a good snowfall. The land we live on stretches out behind the house, and we can see the mountains in the distance. We have been given MUCH.  We are indeed blessed, and are thankful for what we have daily. 

1 Peter 4:10 says, "As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God."

Gifts are given for a PURPOSE, not merely to create happiness in the recipient.  We are asked to be good stewards of what we have been given and I believe that Jesus wasn't just talking about physical things! 

In 1Cor 12:7-11, Paul lists many spiritual gifts: wisdom, words of knowledge, great faith, healing, miracles, prophecy, discernment, tongues, interpretation of tongues. He says, "it is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts." (v.11)  We have been given MUCH!! 
He continues the list in verse 28: some are gifted in hospitality, some are teachers, apostles, prophets, those gifted in helping others, the gift of leadership.  How many of these can you relate to? 

I believe God has given each of us very specific gifts for very specific purposes. Nobody can carry out that purpose with that gift the same way you can!  These gifts are given so we can help each other, to edify the church, and to show the power of Christ to unbelievers.
SO...WHAT ARE WE DOING?
  As the Canadian Church, are we using our gifts as faithful servants?  I assure you, many are!  Many are pushing forward in the things of the Lord, eager to see His Kingdom advance.  This is good news!  Can you imagine the powerful advance that would occur with the sum total of all of our gifts being lived out in our daily lives???  That would be a sight to behold, and certainly a force the enemy could not contend with!  According to a 2001 survey, nearly 75% of Canadians claim to be Christian. I wonder, if this is even close to accurate, why is it not more apparent?

 Further on in the parable in Matthew we see the second part to this responsiblilty: "To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away." (emphasis mine).
What are we doing?  What danger are we facing of losing these great gifts we have been given simply because we chose to do nothing with them? A sobering thought. Shocking to me, actually.
I am speaking to myself here as well.  I am completely challenged in this area, and I write out of my own desire to change.
My challenge to you is this:
1.Identify your gifts! Ask the Lord, ask your friends, seek out the answers. 
2.Begin to ask the Lord what His purposes are for you in your gifts
3.Walk it out!  Let His purposes for you be know by all you come into contact with as you seek to serve Him, using the gifts he has equipped you with to do so!!
May His Kingdom advance as you step into the Lord's purposes for you,
one day at a time,
Darcie.

No comments:

Post a Comment